This grinder salad is a deconstructed version of the classic sandwich, made with lettuce, brussels sprouts, salami, ham, provolone, and fresh veggies. It’s all coated in a creamy, savory dressing that you won’t be able to get enough of!
Grinder Salad Recipe
Let me tell you why this grinder salad is the best and why you’ve gotta try it ASAP! Imagine all the epic flavors of a classic Italian grinder sub, but with a fresh and vibrant twist that your taste buds will go crazy over. First things first, this dressing is the real deal. Creamy mayo meets tangy red wine vinegar, and then we throw in some Italian seasonings, zesty garlic, and a kick of pepperoncini pepper liquid. Oh, and don’t forget the grated parmesan for that extra savory punch!
Now, let’s talk about the salad itself. We’ve got crisp shredded iceberg lettuce and thin slices of Brussels sprouts for some serious crunch. But wait, it gets better! We pile on the salami and deli ham for some mouthwatering protein, and the provolone cheese adds a creamy, dreamy touch. And oh boy, the chopped red onion and pepperoncini peppers give it that tasty kick, while the grape tomatoes bring juicy sweetness into the mix. Even if you’re not a big salad lover, this is one recipe you won’t want to miss. Grinder salad is the perfect balance of meaty and fresh!
Dressing and Salad Ingredients
When you toss all these ingredients together with that fantastic dressing, it’s the ultimate flavor combo! And if you’re into that extra oomph, go ahead and sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top. Seriously, the grinder salad is the way to go when you’re craving those grinder sub vibes but want something lighter and just as tasty.
- Mayonnaise: The creamy base that makes the dressing smooth and rich. If you want a healthier option, try using Greek yogurt or a mix of yogurt and mayo.
- Red Wine Vinegar: This adds a tangy kick that goes great with the creaminess. If you don’t have it, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar will do the trick. Just keep in mind that the overall flavor will change slightly.
- Salt and Pepper: Season until the dressing tastes just the way you like it!
- Italian Seasonings: A tasty blend of herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary that gives the dressing that classic Italian taste. You can also use a store-bought Italian seasoning mix.
- Fresh Minced Garlic: Adds a bold kick. If you like it milder, roasted garlic or garlic powder can be used instead.
- Pepperoncini Pepper Liquid: The secret ingredient for some heat and tanginess.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated parmesan adds a savory kick to the grinder salad.
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce: This is where the freshness and crunch come from, giving the salad that light and cool vibe.
- Brussels Sprouts: These little green goodies bring a fun twist and extra crunchiness.
- Sliced Salami: Get ready for some serious flavor! This tasty protein gives the salad that classic grinder sub taste. If you’re not into salami, you can swap it with turkey or roast beef – equally delish!
- Deli Ham: Another hero from the deli, bringing a milder and slightly sweet touch. It plays so well with the other ingredients.
- Sliced Provolone Cheese: Oh, cheesy goodness! This creamy delight is one of the things that makes this grinder salad so irresistible.
- Chopped Red Onion: Adds a sharp kick to balance out the flavors.
- Sliced Pepperoncini Peppers: Tangy and mildly spicy, these little peppers bring the party to the salad. If you can’t find them, go for banana peppers or pickled jalapeños – still awesome!
- Halved Grape Tomatoes: Juicy and sweet, these little gems enhance the whole flavor game.
- Red Pepper Flakes (For Serving): Okay, spice lovers, here’s your moment! Sprinkle some of these fiery flakes on top if you’re up for some extra heat.
How to Make a Grinder Salad
Don’t wait another minute – get your hands on those ingredients and treat yourself to a salad experience like no other! You’ll be hooked from the first bite, guaranteed!
- Mix Up the Dressing: To make the dressing, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic, and pepperoncini liquid to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine, then stir in the parmesan cheese. Chill the dressing in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
- Add Salad Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, add all of the prepared salad ingredients.
- Toss Together: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients. Gently toss the salad ingredients together with the dressing.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with red pepper flakes before serving if desired. Enjoy immediately!
Customize Your Grinder Salad
Ready to make your grinder salad even more delicious? I’ve got some awesome tips and variations that’ll take your salad game to new heights!
- Adjust the Dressing: Add a personal touch to your dressing! You like it tangy? Add more red wine vinegar. Wanna bring the heat? Go wild with that pepperoncini pepper liquid!
- Mix Up the Meats: You don’t have to stick to salami and deli ham – switch it up! Pepperoni, turkey, roast beef, whatever floats your boat!
- Add Some Avocado: Creamy, dreamy avocado? Yes, please! Slice ’em up and dive into avocado heaven. It’s another great contrast to the pepperoncini and onions.
- Dress Right Before Serving: To keep the salad crisp and fresh, add the dressing just before serving. This prevents the lettuce from getting soggy.
This grinder salad is best enjoyed right away! The addition of Brussels sprouts helps prolong the life of the salad because it is a sturdier green that holds up well with the dressing. The lettuce tends to get soggy as it sits. There is always the option of keeping the salad and the dressing separate and then adding the dressing when you are ready to eat it.
- In the Refrigerator: Store the leftover salad in an airtight container then refrigerate for up to 2 days.
To make the dressing, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, garlic, and pepperoncini liquid to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine, then stir in the parmesan cheese. Chill the dressing in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
In a large mixing bowl, add all of the prepared salad ingredients.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients. Gently toss the salad ingredients together with the dressing.
Garnish with red pepper flakes before serving if desired.
Serving1cupCalories549kcal (27%)Carbohydrates7g (2%)Protein25g (50%)Fat47g (72%)Saturated Fat14g (70%)Polyunsaturated Fat15gMonounsaturated Fat16gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol80mg (27%)Sodium2015mg (84%)Potassium488mg (14%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar2g (2%)Vitamin A721IU (14%)Vitamin C28mg (34%)Calcium258mg (26%)Iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.